Skip to main content

Housing Rehabilitation

Washington County, Oregon offers loans and grants to income eligible residents for home repairs. Funding for these grants and loans are available on a first come first serve basis.

Do you need repairs on your home?

HARDE Program Notice

Due to funding constraints, the HARDE program is not currently accepting applications. However, we invite you to call and inquire about our Deferred Interest Bearing Loan (DIBL) program as a potential alternative for needed home repairs. Please see details below.

Please check back periodically for updates regarding the HARDE program.

The Washington County Office of Community Development Housing Rehabilitation program is funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) through the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and offers low interest housing rehabilitation loans and grants to benefit low- and moderate-income homeowners in Washington County.

Translation and interpretive services are available upon request. Please contact the Office of Community Development at [email protected] or 503-846-8897 for assistance.

NOTE: The City of Beaverton and the City of Hillsboro administer their own Housing Rehabilitation Programs. For residents in Beaverton City Limits, call Unlimited Choices at 503-234-6167. For residents in Hillsboro City Limits, call 503-846-4410.

Deferred Interest-Bearing Loan (DIBL) Overview

Deferred Interest-Bearing Loans (DIBL), up to $25,000, are loans for applicants that own their property and occupy their homes. These low-cost loans can be a great way to complete critical home repairs.

  • 3% Deferred Interest for 10 years then interest accrual stops
  • No payments are required
  • Loan is repaid when the home transfers ownership
  • Income limits apply—households must earn 80% or less of the Portland Metropolitan Area Statistical income limits (annual gross income)

Frequently Asked Questions

How does the program work?

  • Contact the Office of Community Development at 503-846-8897 or you can email [email protected] and complete a questionnaire with staff.
  • If it appears you may be eligible an application will be sent to you.
  • Once an application is received it will be processed by a Rehabilitation Specialist and you may be contacted to obtain additional information.
  • If you qualify, a Rehabilitation Specialist will inspect your property to determine what repairs are needed. Health and safety items are a priority. After a scope of work is agreed upon, a Rehabilitation Specialist will bid the project with local contractors.
  • Once a contractor is selected the work will be scheduled. When the work is complete, Rehabilitation Staff will complete a final inspection and then pay the contractor for work provided.
  • When you sell your home in the future (or if your heirs sell your home at a future date), the DIBL loan will be due to be paid in full out of proceeds from the home sale. No other payments on the loan are needed.

How Do I apply?

Interested homeowners contact the Office of Community Development at 503-846-8897. A questionnaire will be completed to see if a homeowner may qualify. If it is determined that you may qualify for the program an application will be mailed, emailed, or faxed, and may be returned by mail, email, fax or dropped off at 328 W Main Street Suite 100, Hillsboro, OR 97123.

Am I eligible?

  • Home must be in Washington County excluding the city of Hillsboro and the city of Beaverton.
  • Applicant must own or be buying property and must be on title.
  • Owner must occupy the property.
  • Property taxes must be current, deferred taxes are not allowed.
  • Applicant must have sufficient equity to secure the loan.
  • All work must be done by Oregon-licensed and bonded contractors.
  • Manufactured homes in parks do not qualify for a loan.
  • Maintain property insurance, including fire and flood insurance when applicable.
  • Income limits apply, income is calculated as gross annual income. The income limits are updated annually by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development. See table below:

Gross Median Family Income (MFI)

2024-2025, effective 5/1/2024, as determined by HUD

# in Household

80% of MFI

















What type of repairs are eligible?

  • Roofing
  • Heating systems
  • Interior and exterior painting
  • Electrical wiring, fixtures, panel or system
  • Porches, walls, and structural load bearing walls
  • Foundations
  • Health and safety items
  • Removal and replacement of decks and porches if the deck or porch provides direct access or egress, (entry/exit) to the home and or have been cited for a code violation
  • Items necessary to correct miscellaneous code violations
  • Widening of doors for accessibility
  • Installation of ramps
  • Walk-in/roll-in showers
  • Grab bars
  • Hearing-impaired smoke detectors
  • Specialty plumbing fixtures
  • Lowering of light switches
  • Other permanent fixtures that may be necessary for accessibility
  • Insulation
  • Windows
  • Doors
  • Siding
  • Flooring
  • Tree removal if code violation, causing damage to home or plumbing systems
  • Plumbing
  • Exterior water lines from street connection to home
  • Exterior water and sewer connections and lines on the exterior of home
  • Well or septic repair
  • Septic dumping
  • Fencing—can only be installed if a property has a code violation either by Code Enforcement or a Homeowners Association
  • Ceiling repair

What if I have received assistance through Washington County Office of Community Development before?

  • If you have an existing loan and have funding available (not reached the maximum amount), you can reapply and go through the qualifying process.
  • If you have received a HARDE Grant, there is a waiting period of three years before you would be eligible to apply for additional assistance from the DIBL program.
  • If you are on the waiting list for a HARDE Grant, you may close that HARDE application and apply for a DIBL loan if you meet the qualification criteria.

Home Access & Repair for the Disabled and Elderly (HARDE) Overview

Please note HARDE program is not currently accepting new applications.

Home Access & Repair for the Disabled and Elderly (HARDE) grants, up to $10,000, are for applicants with income 50% or less of the Portland Metropolitan Area Statistical income limits.

How do I qualify?

  • Be a Washington County resident.
  • Assets below $100,000 for HARDE.
  • Income qualify.

HARDE Grant Additional Qualifications:

  • Grants are available for person 62 and older and/or disabled.
  • Owner must reside on the property.
  • Grants are available for renter for accessibility only.