Oregon law requires a concealed handgun license (CHL) to maintain public safety and promote responsible gun ownership. The Sheriff's Office is responsible for processing all CHLs for Washington County.
If you would like to apply for a CHL, renew or amend your license, please follow the steps below.
- Be at least 21 years old
- Provide documentation of US citizenship or have proof of application with the intent to become a citizen, such as:
- Valid US passport
- Birth certificate issued by Vital Statistics
- N-300 or N-400 naturalization application receipt from USCIS (along with proof of 6 months residency in Washington County)
- Provide documentation that you have completed a qualifying handgun safety course
- Pass a background check
Apply for a new license
- Complete an approved handgun safety course.
- Visit Oregon State Sheriffs' Association (OSSA) to access their educational course, or contact your local gun dealer.
- Complete the above application and submit it by email [email protected] or mail to address listed on application.
- IMPORTANT: We cannot process applications filled out or emailed from phones, tablets or other mobile devices. Please use a desktop computer only.
- After submitting your application, schedule an appointment
- Attend your scheduled appointment in person, with the following: (see application for more details)
- Safety course certificate OR previous county CHL card
- Two forms of identification, including photo ID
- Documentation of citizenship
- $115 fee payable by cash, check, money order, or Visa/MC
- Review additional concealed handgun license requirements - please print and retain for your records.
Renew or amend your license
Renewals: Schedule an appointment and print an application to bring with you, or complete the application at your appointment.
Name change and duplicates: Complete the application and submit it via mail or our dropbox. Include a check or money order of $15 made payable to WCSO.
- If you currently hold a Washington County, Oregon, CHL and move within Washington County, please first update your information with DMV. Then complete the application and submit it via mail or our dropbox with a check or money order of $15 made payable to WCSO.
- If you move outside of Washington County, contact the Sheriff's Office in your new county of residence.
- If you are a new Washington County resident and hold a CHL elsewhere, follow the instructions for new applicants. Current Oregon CHL holders will pay a $30 transfer fee rather than a new applicant fee.
$115.00 - New Applications
$75.00 – Renewal Applications
$30.00 – Transfer Applications
$90.00 –Transfer with Renewal
$15.00 - Address Change, Name Change, or Replacement Card
Acceptable forms of payment include cash, check, money orders, or Visa/MC.
Contact the CHL Unit
Email: [email protected]
- Washington County Sheriff's Office
Concealed Handgun License Unit
215 SW Adams Ave. MS-32
Hillsboro, OR 97123
- 215 SW Adams Ave.
Hillsboro, OR 97123
Located in the lobby