Tax statement color
All property owners will be mailed a tax statement. Property owners are ultimately responsible for paying the taxes, but the statement color may indicate that another party intends to pay.
Yellow statement - A mortgage company or the Oregon Dept of Revenue has requested the tax statement and intends to pay.
If you have recently refinanced, sold or purchased the property, please contact your mortgage company to confirm who will pay the taxes.
Green statement - You are responsible for paying the taxes.
Tax payment schedule
- July 1 - First day of fiscal tax year
- Early October - Tax roll certification
- October 25 - Tax statement mailing deadline
- November 15* - Due date for one of the following payment options:
- 1/3 installment payment - No discount - Additional payments due Feb 15 and May 15
- 2/3 installment payment - 2% discount - Additional payment due May 15
- Full payment - 3% discount
- February 15* - 2nd installment payment due date**
- May 15* - 3rd installment payment due date**
- Mid-June - Delinquent notice mailing
- June 30 - Last day of fiscal tax year
*If the 15th falls on a weekend or holiday, payments will be received as timely the next business day.
**If paying by installments, courtesy reminder notices will be mailed for the February and May installments.
- Payments must be POSTMARKED on or before the due date to be received as timely for a discount and to avoid interest.
- Postmark is an official mark imprinted on mail that indicates the location and date the mail piece was accepted into Postal Service custody.
- To ensure a timely postmark, especially on or close to the due date, please consider going inside a postal office to have the payment postmarked in your presence.
- Payments are always credited first to any fees and then to the oldest tax year for which taxes are owing.
Due to a high volume of November 15 payments received, timely payments may be processed through the end of November. Call the tax office before making a stop payment and/or a duplicate payment.
Interest is charged at a rate of 1.333% monthly, 16% annually. Interest is accrued on past due installment payments accordingly:
- First one-third installment payment, interest begins accruing on December 16.
- Second one-third installment payment, interest begins accruing on February 16.
- Third one-third payment, interest begins accruing on May 16.
Property tax prepayments
In general, Washington County is unable to accept prepayments on property taxes. Some exceptions include:
- paying for omitted property
- paying estimated taxes to partition, plat, or subdivide a parcel