Tips for walkers and rollers
- Stay alert. Don't assume all drivers and bicyclists are paying attention.
- Be predictable. Don't cross streets from between parked cars, for example.
- Obey all traffic the signals
- Make sure you are seen. Dress in bright colors, wear retro-reflective materials and/or wear reflectors.
- Carry flashlights in dark areas.
- Use crosswalks. Be extra cautious when crossing multiple-lane roads.
- No sidewalks? Travel facing traffic.
- Stay off freeways and other restricted areas.
Tips for drivers
- Stop for pedestrians who are in a crosswalk, even if it is not marked. (ORS 811.028)
- Plan to encounter pedestrians anytime and anywhere.
- Be especially alert in bad weather or at night.
- When entering a crosswalk area or intersection, drive slowly and be prepared to stop.
- Do not overtake and pass other vehicles stopped for pedestrians.
- When waiting to turn, continue to watch for pedestrians who may move into your path.
- Be especially attentive around schools and in neighborhoods where children are active.