Skip to main content

Reduced Rate Program

Reduced rate program for garbage and recycling services available to qualifying households in unincorporated Washington County.

Reduced Rate Program for garbage and recycling services

Starting January 1, 2023, eligible households in unincorporated Washington County can benefit from a reduced monthly rate for standard garbage and recycling collection.  

Do you live in a single family home a duplex, triplex or a fourplex in unincorporated Washington County and have an income at or below 185% of the federal poverty level? Do you pay your garbage bill directly? If so, you can receive a 75% discount on standard garbage and recycling collection service rates

For full eligibility details read FAQs below.

Application for the Reduced Rate Program

Reduced rate for monthly collection service includes the recycling surcharge. (Effective August 1, 2023)

Cart Size

20 gallon

32-35 gallon

60 gallon

90 gallon

Urban Reduced Rate*





Rural Reduced Rate**





* Urban customers are those located within the Metropolitan Service District Boundary.
**Rural customers are located outside the Metropolitan Service District Boundary.
Additional services and fees are not included in the Reduced Rate Program.

General questions or comments? Please contact Washington County Solid Waste & Recycling by calling 503-846-3605.

Eligibility questions? Please contact Community Action by calling 503-615-0771 or by email [email protected]. Please do not send personal financial information to this email.

The County and garbage and recycling collection companies will take all reasonable steps to ensure language interpretation services are available at no cost to any community member seeking assistance. 


You are eligible if:

  • Your household is located in unincorporated Washington County.
  • You receive your garbage and recycling bill directly from your garbage and recycling company.
  • Your household income is at or below 185% of the federal poverty level, OR you are enrolled in and receiving benefits from one or more of the following programs:
    • SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)
    • TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families)
    • Oregon Health Plan/Medicaid
    • Free/Reduced School Lunch Program
    • LIHEAP (Home Energy Assistance)
    • WIC (Women, Infants and Children)
    • HUD (Housing and Urban Development)

Apply online or in person at Community Action. To request an application by mail, contact Community Action. 

Community Action 
1001 SW Baseline Street
Hillsboro, OR 97123
Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Phone: 503-615-0771

Email: [email protected]

Community Action will contact you based on the preferred contact method you select in your application. They may need to collect additional information from you to finalize the application process.

No. You must pay your garbage and recycling company directly for service to be eligible. Garbage and recycling services charged to a tenant by a landlord do not qualify under this program.

  • You’ll receive a 75% reduction in the standard garbage and recycling rate for up to two years when residing at the same address. After two years, you may reapply. Community Action will notify you in writing that it is time to resubmit a program application and provide instructions.
  • You can better meet your household's service needs with more affordable rates for larger container sizes. 

Each spring, the County conducts a rate review. The outcome of that review may result in a rate change — either an increase or a decrease. All customers receive notification of any changes in rates 30 days in advance before going into effect. This page will be updated to reflect current rates. 

Community Action will notify your garbage and recycling company that you are eligible for the program. You will see the reduced rate applied to your next full billing cycle.

Example of the application process.

Reduced rate example

Yes. If you have moved and still meet the eligibility criteria, you’ll need to reapply with your new address. Community Action will verify that your new location is in unincorporated Washington County. 

Back to top