Skip to main content

Death Records

How to order a death certificate for someone who died in Washington County, Oregon.

For Funeral Homes Only

Please contact Washington County Vital Records directly for correct Order Form: 503-846-2264

You may apply to Washington County for death records up to the last day of the fifth month from date of death. For example, if your loved one died on January 10, you can apply for a death record from Washington County until July 9 during our regular business hours.

Use the order form below to request a death record. Fill it out completely to avoid a delay. Each certified death record is $25. If you apply in person, we can take cash, check, money order or credit card. If you apply by mail, we can take a check or money order made payable to Vital Records. Do not mail cash or include a credit card number when ordering by mail. You must mail or bring proof of identity. 

Ordering a death record

  • A current valid ID is required. Visit the State's website for a complete list of what is accepted.
  • "Long Certified" death record includes the medical portion of the record.
  • "Short/Fact of Death Certified" death record does not include the medical portion of the record.

Access to death records is restricted for 50 years to immediate family members and their legal representatives, persons or organizations with a personal or property right, government agencies and individuals licensed in Oregon under ORS 703.430.

Who can order a "Long Certified" or "Short/Fact of Death" record

  • Any immediate family member
  • Staff from a funeral home that was in charge of final arrangements
  • U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, the Director of Veteran Affairs, or any county service officer may request two free copies of the certificate of death
  • Any government agency that needs the record to conduct business: law enforcement agencies, DMV, IRS, Social Security, etc.
  • Anyone with a personal or property right: 
    • Any organization or business responsible for paying death benefits (insurance companies, employers, pension funds, etc.)
    • Businesses or credit companies that are owed money by the decedent
    • Divorced spouses For Social Security benefits
    • Immediate family members of a child for the biological father’s death record, even if the father is not listed on the child’s birth certificate. Family may be able to prove paternity by some means to satisfy requirements of Social Security for benefits.

Who can only order a "Short/Fact of Death" certified death record

  • Non-family member or business trying to clear titles on properties or vehicles they own or have inherited. Normally the deceased person was a previous owner or co-owner of the property. A person who is looking to buy property where a deceased person is on the title does not have a right to the death record.
  • Firms locating heirs as part of their business in the distribution of unclaimed estates. Requests should be made on official letterhead and state the reason for needing the record.
  • Oregon licensed private investigators. Investigators must provide enough information to identify a specific record. Records ordered by mail must include a copy of the investigator's Oregon license.

Six months or longer from the date of death

Certified copies for individuals who died in Oregon six months ago or longer must be obtained from the Oregon Health Authority. 


Vital Records (Birth and Death Certificates)

155 N First Avenue
Suite 170, MS-5
Hillsboro, Oregon 97124

Hours and directions

View all county locations