Skip to main content

Juvenile Court Process

What to expect at Juvenile Court.

If your child is involved in a juvenile delinquency case that means they are accused of breaking the law. When we receive a law enforcement charge, it is our responsibility to decide how best to respond. We contact the youth and parent by letter or phone and explain the next steps. If you do not hear from us after the police contact you regarding your child, please call us at 503-846-8861.

Some matters can be handled outside of the court system through an agreement with the youth. If the case goes to court, the Judge decides if it is likely your child is responsible for the incident in the law enforcement report. The Judge also decides what your child must do in response.

Juvenile Judges also hear dependency cases to decide if a parent is abusive or neglectful. These are separate court hearings that are handled by the Child Welfare Division of the Oregon Department of Human Services (ODHS). The Juvenile Department is not responsible for overseeing these matters. Click here for more information.

Conciliation Services is also part of our department. We mediate child custody matters. Click here to learn more.