Marriage license conditions and requirements
- You must wait 3 days from the day the license is issued before you can have a wedding ceremony.
- You can have a wedding ceremony anywhere in the State of Oregon up to 60 days after the marriage license is issued.
- You must be 18 years or older, or 17 years old with a parent or guardian consent.
- A license can be issued one day after the final date of a divorce.
- No medical examination or blood tests are required.
- Oregon State law does not allow the marriage of first cousins or nearer of kin.
- There are no exceptions, waivers, or refunds to the license fee.
What do I need to obtain a Marriage License?
- Your birthplace & name at birth
- Your parents' birthplaces
- Your parents' names prior to first marriage
- The date that each applicant’s prior marriage ended, such as by death or divorce
- The name you will be using after the marriage takes place
- The fee is $60.00. We accept cash, checks, money order, and debit/credit cards. Debit/credit cards will be charged an additional fee of 2.45% (minimum $1.50).
Obtain a Marriage License in person or by mail
- You can fill out the application online at https://webhelext.co.washington.or.us/Marriage. Computers are also available in our lobby if you do not have internet access. Please read and follow the instructions carefully. After you have completed the application, both applicants must come to the Recording office to pay the fee and complete the process. Be sure to bring a copy of the confirmation page with the Submission ID.
- To obtain a marriage license application by mail, call the Recording office at 503-846-8752 or email [email protected].
- An application will be mailed to you.
- Both parties need to sign & date the application and return it with the fee by mail or in person at the address below.
- Allow at least 3 weeks before the ceremony to process the mailed application.
- On approval, your license will be returned within 3 working days of receipt.
After the ceremony
Your officiant must sign the issued license and return it to the county office within (5) working days.
You may request a certified copy in writing or by phone. Certified copies are $7.75 each.
Washington County Recording Office
Hillsboro, Oregon 97124