Skip to main content


Find information on how to work with our Recording team, what you’ll need to record a document, how to order copies, and more.

Want to obtain a marriage license? Need to record a land document? That’s what we’re here for.

What we do

We can record and file:

  • deeds
  • mortgages
  • contracts
  • tax liens
  • marriages and domestic partnerships

What we don’t do

The Recording section cannot:

  • help you fill out any documents
  • tell you which type of document to use
  • offer notary services
  • perform marriages

If you need help recording a document, you can contact an attorney.

I’d like to get a marriage license

You can apply for a marriage license online, in person, or by mail.

I’d like to register a domestic partnership

To register a domestic partnership, at least one partner needs to be an Oregon resident. You can register in person or by mail.

How do I record a document?

To make sure your document is accepted for recording there are some specific requirements you must meet and fees you must pay.

I’d like to get a copy of a recorded document

You can get copies of documents by visiting our office or by e-mail. If you order by e-mail, you need to pay before the copies can be mailed to you.

I’d like to fix a mistake on my recorded document

If your document has been recorded but has missing, incomplete, or incorrect information, you may want to re-record it.

Do I have to pay transfer tax when I buy or sell a property?

Transfer tax is charged when property changes owners. There are exemptions from having to pay transfer tax in certain cases.

I’d like to change the ownership of my property

Name changes on properties may happen due to marriage, death, divorce, or other court orders


Washington County Recording Office

155 N First Avenue
Room 130
Hillsboro, Oregon 97124

Hours and directions

View all county locations