Complete Streets are roads designed to offer safe and accessible travel to everyone. All types of transportation are included (vehicles, pedestrians, bicycles, wheelchairs and public transportation). We will be updating our Road Design and Construction Standards and other documents to improve how we design the transportation system.
Our goal is to move people and goods efficiently on all county roads by:
- Improving balance: Many of our streets don’t offer safe and comfortable access for everyone. We need connected sidewalks, bike facilities and crosswalks.
- Plan implementation: Our Transportation System Plan prioritizes Complete Streets Design. It includes policies supporting separated bike lanes, well-marked crossings and more.
- Coordination: We will be working with our neighboring cities, utilities, school districts and TriMet.
In February 2021, Transportation Planning staff conducted a Complete Streets Design Update online open house and survey. Of the 99 respondents, 59% said the proposed updates addressed the transportation needs of all road users well or very well.
Proposed updates were presented for:
- Town Center, Main Street and Station areas
- Arterial streets
- Collector streets
- Pedestrians and bicyclists
Our Traffic Engineering staff is continuing to work on updating the standards. Our Transportation Planning staff is working on text and images. We anticipate bringing the completed update before the Board in 2024.
Want to be in the loop? Join our mailing list.