Skip to main content

Sidewalks and Streetlights

Here's how we maintain and install new sidewalks and streetlights.

Sidewalk Maintenance

You are responsible for maintaining sidewalks next to your property. This includes repairs and cleaning up debris.

Financial assistance for approved sidewalk repair is available for property owners within the Urban Road Maintenance District (URMD) through the Sidewalk Repair Grant Program.

Installing New Sidewalk

Not all areas of Washington County have sidewalks. Most sidewalk construction occurs during residential development or through road improvement projects. New sidewalks can be expensive and may require drainage systems.

To have sidewalks installed in your area:

For more information, call 503-846-7623 or email [email protected] .

Streetlight Maintenance

Portland General Electric (PGE) maintains most streetlights on neighborhood streets. Property owners split the energy and maintenance costs for lights in their development evenly. The cost shows up on property tax statements as an assessment.

If a streetlight needs repair, look for a metal PGE tag on the pole. Note the pole and map numbers and submit a repair request directly to PGE. If you do not find a tag, call 503-464-7777 or report it online to PGE.

New Streetlights

Streetlights are often installed during property development. Lights can also be installed as part of road improvements or to improve safety.

You can pay to have streetlights installed in your neighborhood. If you already have utility poles new streetlights can cost less. At least half of adjacent property owners need to agree.

For more information, call 503-846-3679.