Skip to main content

Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing

The VASH program offers rental assistance to homeless Veterans who are engaged in social services with the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH) program is a joint effort between the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the Veteran’s Administration. 

HUD allocates Housing Choice Vouchers that allow homeless veterans and their families to live in market-rate rental units while the VA provides case management services. A housing subsidy is paid to the landlord on behalf of the participating Veteran. The Veteran then pays the difference between the actual rent charged by the landlord and the amount subsidized by the program.

Washington County has 272 VASH vouchers to serve homeless Veteran households. If you are a veteran experiencing homelessness, we encourage you to consider enrolling in this program.

Social Service Providers may download the VASH Flyer to give to clients.

VASH Flyer (PDF 158.97 KB)

To apply for the HUD-VASH program:

Go the Community Resource and Referral Center (CRRC).  Please bring a copy of your DD 214 (preferable) or other ID. If you need to obtain a copy of your DD 214, it may be requested online from eVetRecs.

The CRRC is located at 308 SW 1st Avenue, Portland, OR 97204, and can be reached at 503-808-1256 or 800-949-1004 x51256. The CRRC is open for walk-ins weekdays from 8:00 am - 3:00 pm (10:00 am - 3:00 pm on Thursdays).

The VA determines initial eligibility for the VASH program. If it appears you are eligible, you will be referred to the Department of Housing Services for further screening.

Other Resources:

Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP) and Veterans Opportunity to Work (VOW)

The Veterans Opportunity to Work (VOW) to Hire Heroes Act of 2011, provides seamless transition for Service members, expands education and training opportunities for Veterans, and provides tax credits for employers who hire Veterans with service-connected disabilities.

VRAP offers 12 months of training assistance to Veterans who are at least 35 years old but no older than 60.  VRAP will provide training for programs of education that lead to a high demand occupation, as determined by the Department of Labor.

Public Transportation

Find a Tri-Met route to the CBOC, VA Hospital, or any other destination using the Tri-Met Trip Planner.

Department of Aging and Veterans Services (DAVS)

The mission of Veterans Services is to ensure that Washington County Veterans and their families receive all entitlements provided by Federal and State law.  A Veterans Service Coordinator is the advocate for Veterans, their families, and survivors, and we strive to achieve the highest quality service possible, free of charge.

For more information, please visit DAVS online or call 503-846-3060.

Veterans Services Officers

The Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs (ODVA) continues to build better lives for veterans and their families. From filing claims for health or education benefits to helping veterans obtain earned medals and military awards, ODVA is there with you every step of the way. The wide array of programs and services are provided by a grateful nation and state. 

Locate a Veterans Services Officer near you.

US Department of Veterans Affairs

The vision of the US Department of Veterans Affairs is to provide veterans the world-class benefits and services they have earned - and to do so by adhering to the highest standards of compassion, commitment, excellence, professionalism, integrity, accountability, and stewardship.

Visit the VA online or find VA services near you.

Equal Housing Opportunity logo

Additional Resources

Additional resources not listed here can be found at 211 Info online, or by dialing 211 (or 503-222-5555 from some cell phones).

Back to top