Skip to main content

Animal Services Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Frequently asked questions about the services and resources offered by Washington County Animal Services and the Bonnie Hays Animal Shelter.

Juneteenth Holiday Closure

Washington County Animal Services and the Bonnie Hays Animal Shelter will be closed to the public on Wednesday, June 19 in observance of Juneteenth.

If you would like more information on any of these questions, please call us at 503-846-7041.


Monetary donations are always welcome and allow us to purchase the exact items we need. The next best way to donate is to visit our Amazon Wish List and have items you purchase delivered directly to the animal shelter. We do not accept used items or items delivered in person unless they are listed on our website and arrangements are made in advance of drop-off. Please note that your donations are tax deductible!

Check with pet food banks such as The Pongo Fund and FIDO Dog Food Bank, PAW Team, or other area shelters. You may also want to check with neighbors in-person or on social media to see if they are in need of supplies. As with human medications, left over prescriptions for your pet should be disposed of properly.

We do our best to find the owners of lost animals. If no owner comes forward, adoptable animals might be sent to our animal rescue partners to find new homes.

Since our primary focus is caring for stray pets, we suggest you take a look our Rehoming Resources page for more information on who may be able to help you rehome your animal.

Yes, during business hours we can send an Animal Services Officer to pick up stray dogs and sick or injured cats. Please call 503-846-7041 for assistance.

No. Animal Services does not have the authority or expertise to handle wildlife.

You should contact the Washington County Sheriff at 503-629-0111 or the Oregon Department of Agriculture at 503-986-4681.

Animal Services is not authorized to handle wildlife. You should contact the Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife or a pest control service depending on your need.

No. All complaints must include your name, address and phone number. It is very helpful for the Animal Services Officer who may need to contact you about your concern. It is also required to help us provide the best service possible.

We suggest you first try talking to your neighbor about the issue, but if that doesn’t work, you can call us to file a complaint.

There are lots of ways that lost dogs and cats end up at our shelter. Sometimes they are brought to us by a Good Samaritan who finds them and sometimes we get them from vet clinics or law enforcement agencies. Dogs are often picked up by one of our Animal Service Officers who keep them safe until they can be returned to you.

Please call the Animal Services Officer using the number written on the notice, or call us at 503-846-7041 and we will help you contact the Animal Services Officer who left it.

No, we are not able to offer veterinary services to the public.

This is not a service we offer, and we strongly encourage you to talk to your veterinarian about this difficult decision.

We don't offer cremation services and are therefore unable to accept deceased pets. We suggest you contact a pet cremation or disposal service. A veterinary hospital may also be able to assist you with this.

No. Since we are a government agency we cannot recommend specific providers. We can give you a list of all veterinary clinics in Washington County.

Resources for these kinds of services include Spay & Save for Cats and the ASAP Coalition Resource page. The cost of spay and neuter can vary greatly. If cost is a concern for routine or emergency vet care, check with multiple clinics and ask if they offer any discounts or payment plans.

There are resources available. Please check out the ASAP Coalition Resource page or call us for more information.

We are not able to refer community members to specific trainers, but we recommend talking with your veterinarian to rule out medical reasons for the behavior problem and for referrals to behavior resources. Additional behavior and training resources can be found on the ASAP Coalition Resource page.

No, we transfer animals needing homes to our animal rescue partners. This allows us to focus on stray animal care and getting lost pets back home.

Any pet who would have gone through our previous adoption service is being transferred to one of our partners to find a new home through their adoption program.

We encourage you to try other area shelters or Petfinder.

At this time, we are not recruiting for onsite volunteers at the shelter. However, we are recruiting for Volunteer Ambassadors! These specially trained volunteers act as an Animal Services resource within their own communities and represent the shelter at events. To apply to be a Volunteer Ambassador, community members must at least 16 years old and complete our Animal Services Academy.

No, we do not offer court ordered community service. Hands On Greater Portland may be able to assist you with ideas.

Call us at 503-846-7041.

No, in Washington County only dogs need licenses.

If the bite breaks skin, call Washington County Disease Control and Prevention at 503-846-3594.

If you feel it is necessary, seek medical care. Then, call Washington County Disease Control and Prevention at 503-846-3594.