Skip to main content

Dog Licensing

Licensing your dog in Washington County, Oregon. Where to get a license for your dog, requirements and cost.

Public meeting set for Wednesday, June 21

Washington County Animal Services and the Bonnie Hays Animal Shelter are in the process of exploring the needs for a new animal shelter. We will be holding a public meeting for key stakeholders and other interested community members on Wednesday evening, June 21. While we don’t have approval to build a new shelter, this is part of our future planning process. Learn more about this meeting and RSVP here

Opening at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, May 31

Washington County Animal Services and the Bonnie Hays Animal Shelter will be closed the morning of Wednesday, May 31 for a staff training. We will open to the public at 1 p.m. For urgent animal-related concerns, please call non-emergency dispatch at 503-629-0111. Animal emergencies, like animal abuse in progress, should be reported by calling 911. If you have a non-urgent concern or question, we will be happy to assist you when we open. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Dogs in Washington County must be licensed. Licenses may cost less if you buy several years at one time; if your dog is spayed or neutered; or if you are at least 65 years old with a spayed or neutered dog. You may need to provide proof that you are eligible for these lower costs.

You must provide proof of a current rabies vaccination for your dog for the license to be valid. Your veterinarian can provide you with this proof.

How to license your dog

Dog License Fees

1 Year

2 Year

3 Year





Spayed / Neutered




65 and over dog owners

(Must be at least 65 years old AND dog must be spayed/neutered)




See our Licensing Fees page for additional information about other fees related to licensing.


You can pay by credit card (Visa, Mastercard or Discover) or debit card online, by phone or in person. We also take checks by mail or at the shelter.

All dogs that live in Washington County must be licensed.

No. You should bring a recent rabies vaccination certificate and a spay/neuter certificate if you have one. 

Yes, you can still buy a license for your dog even if your rabies vaccination has expired. But, the license will not be valid until we get the rabies certificate. Contact your veterinarian to schedule your dog’s rabies vaccination and let them know that you need a certificate to give to us. 

You can buy a $5 replacement tag online when you renew your dog license. If you need a replacement tag and your license is not up for renewal yet, you can buy one over the phone or in person at the shelter for $5. 

No, we only license dogs.


Washington County Animal Services Location

1901 SE 24th Avenue, Mailstop 53
Hillsboro, Oregon 97123