Skip to main content

Motor Carrier Trip Permits

Apply for exceptions to state restrictions on vehicle size and weight.

The state of Oregon sets legal restrictions for vehicle size and weight. We can allow exceptions to those restrictions in Washington County if you apply for a permit.

We usually need a permit if a vehicle is more that 8 feet, 6 inches wide and/or 14 feet high. Length restrictions depend on the type and configuration of a vehicle and vary between 40 and 95 feet. Weight limits also vary depending on the number and spacing of axels on a vehicle.

Single Trip Variance Permit

With this permit, you can operate a vehicle that is above legal size and/or weight limits for one trip on a set route. The permit is only active for a 10-day period. You can make a special request for a permit to be active up to 30 days.

The Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) issues these permits, even if you only use county roads. If the route uses our roads, we receive a permit request from ODOT and we add conditions. The state combines information from various jurisdictions into one permit for your convenience.

Visit the ODOT website for more information on getting a permit.

Continuous Operation Variance Permit (COVP)

This permit allows you to use a vehicle above legal size and/or weight limits for one year. The vehicle still needs to be below thresholds set by the state and other counties. Limitations are different based on jurisdiction, truck configuration and commodity. It doesn’t allow you to travel on roads that have posted restrictions stricter than what the permit allows.

For information on how to apply for a COVP, visit ODOT’s Motor Carrier Transportation page.

Structure Permits and Super Loads

This is a special type of single trip variance permit for loads wider than 14 feet, higher than 17 feet or longer than 150 feet.

ODOT issues the permit if you will be traveling on both state and county roads. You need to apply directly with the city and County if you will only be driving on city and/or county roads.

You need to submit a description of your route. Include any potential conflicts and how you will address them. We will either approve the permit or ask for changes. Depending on traffic control requirements, we may also require Temporary Road Closure Permit Application, a Traffic Signal Shutdown Permit Application or a Right-of-Way permit application.

You also need to submit a complete list of impacted utilities for approval. It is your responsibility to coordinate the temporary relocation of all utilities. You are responsible for all the costs related to preparing submittals and relocating utilities.

To get a Structure Permit or a Super Load Permit, please contact us at 503-846-ROAD (7623) or email us.

Special Permit to Use Restricted County Roads

This permit allows you to operate above restrictions on weight or length-restricted roads. There is no fee for this permit. We usually don’t issue permits for weight-restricted bridges.

To get a Special Permit to Use Restricted County Roads call us at 503-846-ROAD (7623) or email us.

Motor Carrier Reference Map

You can find roads that have restrictions that are stricter than legal limits on our Motor Carrier Reference Map. You can use it to plan a route that avoids restrictions.


The Washington County Sheriff's Office runs the Motor Carrier Enforcement Program. They have deputies certified in truck enforcement and a full-time weighmaster. You can report concerns about overweight vehicles and other possible violations to 503-846-ROAD (7623). We will forward them to the weighmaster.

Related Documents:

Back to top